University of South Africa (UNISA) has three campuses, Unisa Muckleneuk Campus (Main Campus), Unisa Science Campus and Unisa Sunnyside Campus. Unisa has regional centres in 9 Provinces of South Africa.
Unisa is the largest open distance learning institution in Africa and the longest standing dedicated distance education university in the world. We enrol nearly one-third of all South African students.
Founded in 1873 as the University of the Cape of Good Hope, the institution became the first public university in the world to teach exclusively by means of distance education in 1946. Throughout the years, Unisa was perhaps the only university in South Africa to have provided all people with access to education, irrespective of race, colour or creed. This vibrant past is mirrored in our rich history, more particularly our massive and impressive database of alumni, some of whom are to be found in the most senior levels of society across the world.
Given our rootedness in South Africa and the African continent, Unisa today can truly claim to be the African university in the service of humanity.
We have embraced the fact that we need to adapt quickly to the fast-paced higher education environment of the 21st century and this is reflected in our management style and leadership practice. In addition, one of our main aims is to harness the new and emerging potential in information and communication technology to catapult the university into a truly digital future.
We offer an unparalleled range of study choices, ranging from short courses and certificate programmes to three-and four-year degrees and diplomas, to over 400 000 current students. As one of the leading research institutions on the continent, our research efforts have won us numerous awards, recognitions and honours.
Whether you’re beginning a new journey with us or staying involved with your alma mater, we commend you on choosing a world-class institution that has been building Africa’s future for 141 years.
Full list of academic departments
College of Accouting Sciences
- School of Accountancy: Auditing, Financial Accounting, Management Accounting, Taxation
- School of Applied Accountancy: Financial Governance, Financial Intelligence
College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences
- School of Agriculture and Life Sciences: Agriculture, Animal Health, Life and Consumer Sciences
- School of Environmental Sciences: Environmental Sciences, Geography
College of Economics and Management Sciences
- School of Economic Sciences: Department of Economics, Department of Decision Sciences, Department of Transport Economics, Logistics and Tourism
- School of Management Sciences: Department of Business Management, Department of Marketing and Retail, Department of Finance, Risk Management and Banking, Department of Human Resource Management, Department of Industrial and Organisational Psychology, Department of Public Administration
College of Education
- School of Education: Adult Basic Education, Educational Foundations, Psychology of Education, Inclusive Education
- School of Teacher Education: Mathematics Education, Science and Technology Education, Language Education, Arts and Culture, Curriculum and Instructional Studies, Early Childhood Education
College of Human Sciences
- School of Arts: African Languages, Afrikaans and Theory of Literature, Art history and Visual Arts and Musicology, Communication Science, English Studies, Information Science, Linguistics and Modern Languages
- School of Social Sciences: Development Studies, Health Studies, Political Sciences, Psychology, Social Work, Sociology
- School of Humanities: Anthropology and Archaeology, Christian Spirituality, Church History and Missiology, History, Biblical and Ancient Studies, Philosophy, Practical and Systematic Theology, Religious Studies and Arabic
College of Law
- School of Law: Criminal and Procedural Law, Jurisprudence, Mercantile Law, Private Law, Public, Constitutional and International Law
- School of Criminal Justice, Criminology and Security Science, Penology, Police Practice, Security Risk Management
College of Science, Engineering & Technology
- School of Science: School of Science Home, Department of Chemistry, Department of Mathematical Sciences, Department of Physics, Department of Statistics
- School of Computing: School of Computing Home
- School of Engineering: School of Engineering Home, Department of Civil and Chemical Engineering, Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, Department of Electrical and Mining Engineering
For further information on the faculties, our academic departments and the programmes we offer, visit Unisa study pages.
How to apply
Make sure that your application is complete
If your application for admission to study through Unisa is incomplete, you will have to re-apply during the next application period. For more information, send an e-mail to [email protected].
Click here download prospectus
Please feel free to call Unisa on 012 429 3111 and speak to one of Unisa advisors.
Students may send an SMS to 32695 for more information on how to contact Unisa via SMS. The sender will receive an auto response SMS with the various SMS options. The cost per SMS is R1,00.
If you need to send us information you can do so at:
University of South Africa
P O Box 392
You can visit Unisa Main Campus at:
Preller Street, Muckleneuk, Pretoria
Or find your nearest here, Unisa Regional Centre