Stellenbosch University invites students to apply for Doctoral Scholarship Programme 2023 academic year.
Scholarship Application Closing Date: 04 August 2023
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences at Stellenbosch University is inviting students to apply for the Doctoral Scholarship, for the 2024 academic year.
Scholarships will be awarded for PhD research projects in fields of research supported by departments/ centres in the Arts and Social Sciences Faculty.
The scholarship will be awarded to the value of up to R420 000, over a three year period.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You may be a South African citizen or an international student
- You must not be older than 40 years of age
- You must have completed a full MA research thesis
- You must apply for entrance to study at Stellenbosch University (visit the Stellenbosch University Postgraduate page to apply) (you do not have to be registered or have a supervisor)
- You must intend on pursuing full-time PhD studies, with a research projects in fields of research supported by departments/ centres in the Arts and Social Sciences Faculty
- You must be able to start your studies in January 2024
- You must have achieved a minimum of 70% in the final year of your previous completed degree
- You must have achieved excellent academic results
How to apply
Download and complete the Stellenbosch University Doctoral Scholarship Application Form (.docx)
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- ID document, if an South African citizen (certified copy)
- Passport, if an international student (certified copy)
- Full academic transcript (certified copy)
- MA degree or foreign equivalent (certified copy) (or official proof from your institution that the degree will be delivered before December 2023, if the certificate is not available)
- Motivational letter to support your application (maximum 600 words)
- Pre-proposal or research idea explaining your proposed research question and conceptualization on one of the three project themes (more details can be found on the application form) (maximum 500 words)
- Sample of your writing: MA thesis for PhD applicants and any published academic articles related to your application
Applications must be submitted via email to: email@example.com
(Insert the words “SU Doctoral Scholarship Application” in the email subject line).
Note: the application form must be saved and sent in pdf format.
NOTES ABOUT THE SU DOCTORAL SCHOLARSHIP
Please take notes of these points when applying:
- The application form must be completed in English only.
- Applicants must have preferably been in contact with the Department in the Faculty of Arts and Socials Sciences (recommended but not a strict requirement).
- Applicants must inform themselves regarding the availability of suitable supervisors in their field of research, within the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences before applying.
- Scholarships will not be awarded for coursework Masters programmes where the thesis component is less than 180 credits.