Do you want to Study Bachelor Degree in Interior Designe at University of Johannesburg (UJ)? Find below details such as Admission Requirements for the Bachelor Degree in Interior Design, Career Opportunities and many more.
Interior Designers engage with a range of interior spaces to create innovative spatial solutions with a thorough knowledge of building technology, materials and human environment needs.
The Department of Interior Design offers an undergraduate Bachelor Degree, a fourth year Bachelor of Technology Degree and a Master of Technology Degree in Interior Design. The Department’s facilities include designated studio areas first year to Master’s students and a centrally-located specialist computer studio.
Graduates are qualified for interior design careers in:
- Retail interiors
- Office complexes
- Exhibition stands
- Domestic interiors
Admission Requirements for the BA (Interior Design) (B8BA6Q)
- Senior Certificate or equivalent qualification with a minimum APS or M-score
- Attendance of an entrance assessment once the application form has been processed
- Submission of a portfolio with ten pieces of work, to be presented at the entrance assessment
- Completion of the National Benchmarking Test (NBT) for Academic and Quantitative Literacy (AQL)
Recommended subjects include Art and Mathematics.
Average Point Score (APS)
A minimum APS of 23 with Mathematics or 24 with Mathematical Literacy is required to apply for the programme.
|Language of teaching and learning||Other recognised language|||
(50 – 59%)
(50 – 59%)
(50 – 59%)
Maths Lit: 5
This scoring system is used if the applicant completed school prior to 2008 or A/O levels.
A minimum M-score of 12 is required to apply for the programme.
Applicants meeting the minimum entrance requirements (APS or M-score) for the BA (Interior Design) Degree will be invited to attend an entrance assessment and to submit a prescribed portfolio.
Applicants are selected by means of an entrance assessment consisting of an interview, a written component, a practical assessment testing two- and three-dimensional skills and the submission of a portfolio. Applicants must bring the portfolio and the following to the entrance assessment:
- Pen, pencils, eraser, metal-edged ruler, cutting knife for cardboard, a tube of clear Bostik glue, two sheets of A2 cartridge drawing paper and one sheet of lightweight A1 triplex mounting board (cardboard).
- Passport photograph, money for refreshments, the prescribed portfolio, as described below.
- A portfolio of at least ten pieces of work is required
- The work should ideally include examples of drawings, paintings or design
- Applicants are encouraged to take photographs of any completed original art or design work that cannot be presented in their portfolios. Photographs should be presented in printed format during the entrance assessment.
NB: Submission of a portfolio must only take place once you have officially applied to the university and have been invited by the faculty to participate in the selection process.
Department of Interior Design
Faculty of Art, Design and Architecture [FADA]
University of Johannesburg
Aukland Park Bunting Road Campus
FADA Information Centre
011 559 1115/ 1098 | email@example.com