South Deep Education Trust: Bursaries 2017 / 2018
Applications for South Deep Education Trust bursaries are now open. The trust focuses on creating educational opportunities for youth in Westonaria, where the company’s South Deep mine is based. The bursaries are aimed at students entering their first, second or third year of tertiary studies in 2017.
The bursary does not cover arrears fees payable by the student for previous years of study. Educational Grants will be allocated on a year-by-year basis. No Educational Grant is automatically renewed for subsequent years of study, and all recipients must apply for Educational Grants for each subsequent year of study.
The South Deep Education Trust is a trust founded by Gold Fields limited, with its main objective being the utilisation of donations and other accruals to provide funding to its defined beneficiaries for providing educational training facilities, tuition, granting of scholarships, bursaries, skills development, provision of school buildings or equipment for educational institutions, curriculum support, school development, safety and security at schools, outreach programmes, study and research.
Bursary Application deadline is 30 October 2016
Bursary Provider: South Deep Education Trust
Bursary Location: South Africa
Only applicants that fulfil the following criteria will be considered for Educational Grants:
- Historically Disadvantaged Individuals from low-income households in the communities surrounding the South Deep Mine and/or the Labour Sending Areas
- Students in their first three years of tertiary study (unless the trustees deem a particular case exceptional and decide in their discretion to award an Educational Grant to a post-graduate student)
- Only students applying to universities or TVETs who do not have existing bursaries, scholarships or other forms of funding
- Applicants in any field which has application (technical or non-technical) in the mining sector in South Africa
- First time applicants must have achieved an average pass mark of 60% for the most recent year of study (excluding life orientation)
- Repeat Applicants (those who have previously received an Education Grant from the Trust) must have passed the most recent year of study. In the event that such a student has achieved an average pass mark but has failed a particular subject, the Trust shall not pay for the repeat of that particular subject, and the student shall be responsible for the costs of the repeat
- No dependents of the trustees of the Trust may apply
How to apply
For latest Intenships, Learnerships, bursaries and more follow StudentRoom.co.za on Facebook (Click HERE)