The Sun International Bursary Programme 2016
Sun International established the Sun International Community Development Trust to fund the implementation of the group’s corporate social investment strategy, which remains focused on expenditure in the areas of education, health, welfare and cultural activities.
The Sun International Bursary Programme administered by Studietrust grants bursaries to students in areas of studies relevant to the hospitality and leisure industry:
• Food & Beverage Studies
- Hospitality Studies (at all levels and in all areas of specilization)
- Hotel Management
- Human Resources Management
- Sport and Recreation Studies
- Marketing and Sales
- Information Technology
- Management Studies
- Finance (Accounting)
- Electrical Engineering (light current at TVET level)
- Plumbing (TVET level)
Who may apply:
South African citizens interested in studies at South African Universities, Universities of Technology and TVET Colleges for degree, diploma and certificate programmes in the above fields of study.
Preference is given to:
- Current Grade 12 learners
- Matriculated applicants waiting for a study opportunity
- Full-time students in their first year studying towards qualifications in the fields specified above
- Female applicants from previously disadvantaged communities
- Applicants who live in close proximity of Sun International Hotels and Resorts.
Bursary type: partial
Main selection criteria: Academic merit and financial need.
Instructions for submission of application forms
Applications will only be considered if completed in full and if all the supporting documents have been included and signed by the applicant. Documents that accompany the application form must be certified:
1. A copy of your mid-year/June examinationresults. If you are not studying this year, send a copy of your latest exam results, together with an explanation of what you are doing this year. This is essential as the exam results play an important role in the selection process.
2. Matric/NSCresults: If you have already completed matric/NSC, include your results, together with your latest tertiary (June) results. This is compulsory for all tertiary students.
3. Two testimonials: One testimonial from a responsible educational official, e. g. your principal or lecturer and the other by a community, political or spiritual leader. Use the testimonial forms in the application form or attach suitable testimonials.
4. Write an essayon your life on the page included. Use additional pages if necessary. This must be written by you. Your parent, guardian or friend may write a letter of recommendation.
5. Proof of salaries* of parent(s), guardian or spouse (*e.g. payslip, letter from employer, sworn statement or tax return statement).
6. A copy of your South African ID.
NB: Please apply timeously for admission to the university of technology of your choice. Consult the website of the relevant universities of technology for their application deadlines. Career advice is available from SAQA Career Advice Services: Helpline Number: 0860 111 673; or sms / email your question to 0722045056 / [email protected]
When completing the application form, please clearly specify the exact degree programme for which you need a bursary, the name of the educational institution where you plan to study (e.g. University of Cape Town) and the year of study.
Changing your degree programme after submitting your application form may lead to a cancellation of the bursary, if granted.
No bursaries are available for private tertiary institutions
– Due to a possible postal strike and the likelihood of your application not reaching us before the closing date, we encourage applicants to make use of the Online Application Feature .
– Alternatively, application forms can be downloaded from Studietrust website.
– Email your completed form and supporting documents in PDF format (not exceeding 1megabyte) to [email protected]or fax 086 538 1537
– If you require an application form to be posted to you, please sms the word STUDY, your name, surname, postal address & postal code to 31022. (Standard sms rates apply)
– Completed application forms may still be submitted to the postal address, Studietrust, Private bag X16, Braamfontein, 2017.
– For applying online, please indicate in the relevant space that you are applying for a Sun International Fund bursary. We will, however, consider your application for other bursaries too, so you only have to apply ONCE.
- The closing date for requesting an application form is 31 August.
· The closing date for submitting your completed application form with all supporting documents is 30 September. This deadline applies to all modes of application
Acknowledgement of receipt
Studietrust (the Sun International bursary administrator) receives thousands of application forms each year and it is therefore not possible for us to acknowledge receipt of all completed forms. All applications will be considered and selection will take place from September to December. All applicants will be notified of the outcome not later than 31 December.
Contact Studietrust if you need more information:
If you have a question related to careers and jobs, university and university courses, study help, student financial support or even debate about breaking news, politics, sport and more - post a question on our Students and Graduates Discussion Forum (Click HERE) to get help from others.