Here is Top 10 tips for better exam results:
- Avoid taking stimulants or other medications to cope with exam pressures as this may have dangerous consequences.
- Do not skip meals during study and exam time – the brain needs energy to function optimally.
- Junk foods are high in refined carbohydrates and sugar, which give short-lived energy boosts but lead to worsening fatigue (crash). Avoid these as they can harm your concentration.
- Eat foods with a low glycemic index such as whole wheat, or rye bread, brown rice, oats, beans, or chickpeas. These will give you more sustained energy.
- Eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, as these supply the body with essential micronutrients.
- Fizzy and over-loading on caffeinated drinks should be avoided. Water is best for hydrating the body and is essential for maintaining concentration.
- Eat breakfast and re-fuel on healthy snacks, such as nuts or dried fruit, every three to four hours.
- Avoid comfort eating during studying. Instead, take a walk or a nap, phone a friend, or listen to music to combat stress and anxiety.
- The brain needs six to eight hours of sleep for effective learning. Burning the midnight oil is counterproductive.
- Exercise gets the blood pumping and supplies the brain with additional oxygen, which is highly beneficial when learning. Time may be limited, but half an hour of exercise is all it takes to sharpen your mind.
For latest Intenships, Learnerships, bursaries and more follow StudentRoom.co.za on Facebook (Click HERE)