LegalWise invites qualifying students to apply for Bursary Programme 2022 academic year.
Bursary Application Closing Date: 30 September 2021
LegalWise are inviting Members or children of Members, to apply for their bursary programme for the 2022 academic year. The LegalWise Member Bursary Programme aims to assist students, both financially and with mentorship support, and thereby enable them to further their studies in fields which LegalWise has a need to recruit.
Bursaries will be awarded to students currently pursuing studies towards any of the following degree qualifications:
- BA (Law)
- BCom (Law)
- BCom (Accounting)
- BCom (Human Resource Management)
- BCom (Industrial Psychology)
- BCom (Management)
The bursary will provide partial cover for study-related expenses, including the following: annual registration fees tuition fees (capped at R40 000 per year). The bursary will NOT cover any outstanding student debt or failed subjects.
Shortlisted candidates will be contact and required to attend an interview at their nearest LegalWise Branch.
Bursaries are awarded based on academic performance throughout the year and submitting results and accounts to the Bursary Administrator on time.
Bursaries are renewable each year based on 3 factors: compliance with Bursary Agreement T&C’s, satisfactory academic performance, and completion of vacation work.
Bursary recipients will be required to complete their studies within the minimum allocated number of years, as specified by the University.
Bursary recipients will be required to take part in paid vacation work at LegalWise Branch close to them, for 5 weeks per year (2 weeks during the June/ July holidays and 3 weeks during the December holidays).
Students who are studying towards one of the BCom degrees (in Accounting, Human Resource Management, Industrial Psychology or Management), will be required to take part in paid vacation work and service obligation at the LegalWise Roodepoort branch. Students will be responsible for their own travel and accommodation if they are not residing in the area.
Once students have graduated, they must complete their in-house service obligation – the duration of the service contract is 6 months of paid service for each year of bursary funding received.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a LegalWise Member OR a child of a LegalWise Member (biological, adopted or under legal guardianship)
- The LegalWise Member must be fully paid up for a minimum of 2 years before application and must remain a Member for the entire duration of the bursary
- You must have completed Matric
- You must be studying full-time towards one of the aforementioned degree qualifications (part-time, distance or correspondence students will NOT be funded)
- You must be in your 1st or later year of study (1st year students will NOT be funded)
- You must be registered and studying at one of the following tertiary institutes:
- University of Johannesburg
- University of Witwatersrand (WITS)
- University of Pretoria
- University of Cape Town
- University of the Western Cape
- University of Stellenbosch
- University of KwaZulu-Natal
- University of Limpopo
- University of Fort Hare
- University of the Free State
- Rhodes University
- North-West University (Mafikeng or Potchefstroom campus)
- Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
- You must have achieved a minimum overall average of 60% or “C” symbol for the previous year of study
- You must be fluent in English and at least 1 other South African official language (able to speak, read and write)
- You must possess the following qualities: a positive attitude, determination, commitment, able to work in a team, show initiative, good communication skills and good interpersonal skills
How to apply
Download and complete the LegalWise Bursary Application Form (.pdf)
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Passport sized photo (attached to the application form
- Matric certificate (certified copy)
- Most recent tertiary academic transcript, including 2021 June exam results (certified copy)
- Proof of university registration for one of the approved degrees (on university letterhead)
- Latest student account (on university letterhead)
- Motivational letter about yourself and why you should be awarded the bursary (see page 8 of the application form for possible topics: maximum 750 words)
- Letter of recommendation by a parent, legal guardian or friend (optional)
- Proof of LegalWise Membership (copy of Membership number or card)
- ID document of LegalWise Member (certified copy)
- Proof of relation to LegalWise Member:
- copy of Membership card, if you are the LegalWise Member
- birth certificate, if biological child of a LegalWise Member
- court ordered guardianship, if a adopted child or under legal guardianship of a LegalWise Member
- marriage certificate, if married to a LegalWise Member
- Parent/ guardian/ spouse proof of income:
- latest financial statements or a sworn affidavit, if self-employed
- copy of latest payslip, if employed
- sworn affidavit, if unemployed
- payslip from legal guardian, if residing with legal guardian while your parents are still alive
- SASSA grant slip, if applicable
- death certificate, if deceased
Note: original documents must NOT be submitted as documents will NOT be returned to applicants. Documents must be certified copies – certified at SAPS or SA Post Office.
Applications must be submitted in one of the following ways:
1) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
2) Fax: 011 670 4557
External Bursary Department
P O Box 1524
4) Hand delivered to your closest LegalWise branch (https://www.legalwise.co.za/contact-us/branches/)
For latest South African lastest Internships, Learnerships, Apprenticeships and Bursaries follow / like our Facebook page StudentRoom