South African Sugar Association (SASA) offer 2016 Graduate Programme for Environmental Health and Safety at Mount Edgecombe, KwaZulu-Natal.
SASA Internships 2016: Environmental Health and Safety
About The Position
The South African Sugarcane Research Institute (SASRI) is a world renowned agricultural research institute that conducts research on all aspects of sugarcane farming. The environmental health and safety section of the diagnostic and analytical resource unit plays a vital role at SASRI as it focuses on promoting safety within the workplace through preventing incidents or accidents that might result from abnormal operating conditions and reduction of adverse effects that result from normal operating conditions.SASRI has a great internship opportunity for a graduate within the health and safety field who will be working with the Resource Manager on developing and maintaining Safety, Health and Environmental systems for South African Sugarcane Research Institute (SASRI) based on NOSA and ISO 18000.
- Undertaking Hazard Identification Risk Assessments and report with recommendations
- Scheduling weekly testing of fire alarm system
- Organising SHE Committee meetings
- Compiling safety reports and presented outcomes in S.H.E. Committee meetings.
- Ensuring compliance of SASRI in terms of Occupational Health & Safety Act 85 of 1993
- Compiling a monthly S.H.E. Newsletter called the ‘S.H.E. TALK’
- Conducting Ergonomics survey provided report with results
- Coordinating and Communicating with external service providers such as hazardous waste management
- Promoting health and safety within the workplace
The Requirements (Essential and General)
- National Diploma in Safety, Environment Health or equivalent
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- A strong desire to work in an agricultural research environment
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Passion for knowledge and knowledge generation
What we Offer
- The successful incumbent will receive an allowance of R3500.00 on a monthly basis.
The ideal candidate will have the following competencies:
- work independently as well as in a team
- recognise and identify factors that signify the presence of a fire
- listen and understand information and ideas presented verbally
- communicate information & ideas verbally
- identify unsafe or inefficient work procedures
- Problem solving
- Analyse and interpret data
- Work without supervision
- Microsoft Word and Excel
- Data capturing
- relevant health and safety regulations
- relevant legislation
- environmental impact assessments
- Knowledge of sugarcane agriculture
- MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint
The South African Sugar Association (SASA) provides a diverse range of highly specialised services to the South African sugar industry and our activities are funded in the main by the sugarcane growers and sugar milling companies. Our mission is to provide specialist services that enhance the profitability, global competitiveness and sustainability of the South African
Applications will be received via SASA online job portal accessible on www.sasa.org.za(navigate to Careers @ SASA- Vacancies).
Closing date for applications: Monday, 18 January 2016.
Applications will be considered for short-listing as they are received and SASA reserves the right to not consider any application received after the stated closing date.
For latest South African Government Departments, Municipalities, Parastatals Jobs / Vacancies visit workforgov.co.za