South African Sugar Association (SASA) offer 2016 – 2017 Graduate Programme for Plant Pathology at Mount Edgecombe, KwaZulu-Natal.
SASA Plant Pathology Internship 2016, 2017
About the Position
The South African Sugarcane Research Institute (SASRI) is a world renowned agricultural research institute that conducts research on all aspects of sugarcane farming. The plant pathology section conducts research in disease diagnostics, new sugarcane diseases, microbial diversity in plants and soils, soil health and selection of procedures to improve quarantine processes.SASRI has a great internship opportunity for a graduate within the plant pathology field who will be working with the Plant Pathologist and will be responsible for inoculation of smut spores into sugarcane buds and the quantification of smut in the sugarcane buds.
- Collection of smut spores from the field
- Determining the germination rate of the smut spores
- Collection of sugarcane from the field
- Inoculation of sugarcane buds with smut spores using a spraytower and/or other techniques
- Staining of smut hyphae in the sugarcane buds
- Quantification of smut hyphae in the sugarcane buds by means of staining and microscopy
- DNA extraction form smut spores
- Sequencing of smut spore DNA
The Requirements (Essential and General)
- BSc Hons in Microbiology or any other related qualification
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- A strong desire to work in an agricultural research environment
- Desire to experiment with new technology, new products and new services
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Passion for knowledge and knowledge generation
What we Offer
- The successful incumbent will receive an allowance of R3500.00 on a monthly basis.
- There is onsite accommodation, meals, clinic facilities and a laundry service at a monthly contribution of R380.00 (optional).
- work independently as well as in a team
- listen and understand information and ideas presented verbally
- communicate information & ideas verbally
- Analyse and interpret data
- Work methodically and systematically
- Microsoft Word and Excel
- Data capturing
- Plant Pathology
The South African Sugar Association (SASA) provides a diverse range of highly specialised services to the South African sugar industry and our activities are funded in the main by the sugarcane growers and sugar milling companies. Our mission is to provide specialist services that enhance the profitability, global competitiveness and sustainability of the South African sugar industry.
Applications will be received via SASA online job portal accessible on www.sasa.org.za (navigate to Careers @ SASA- Vacancies).
Closing date for applications: Monday, 18 January 2016.
Applications will be considered for short-listing as they are received and SASA reserves the right to not consider any application received after the stated closing date.
The ideal candidate will have the following competencies:
For latest South African Government Departments, Municipalities, Parastatals Jobs / Vacancies visit workforgov.co.za