Last updated on September 15th, 2020 at 11:02 am
CIVICUS South Africa invites applicants to apply for Internship Programme 2020 / 2021.
Internship Application Closing Date: 18 September 2020
Internship Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng
CIVICUS has a number of exciting internship opportunities for graduates who are passionate about social issues and a sustainable world.
CIVICUS is a membership-based alliance, with over 10 000 individual and organisational members in over 175 countries across the world. Our overall goal is to strengthen civil society and citizen action for a more just, inclusive and sustainable world. The membership team works with projects across the organisation, including Youth, Diversity and Inclusion, Advocacy and Capacity Development, to engage a broad range of stakeholders in civil society.
1. Operations Intern
CIVICUS is looking for a dynamic and efficient individual to provide scheduling and administrative support to the Operations coordinator. This position involves a varied work focus and provides the opportunity to collaborate with and support colleagues across the operations and programmatic clusters, with a strong emphasis on underpinning operational process and procedure. This position also touches on assistance in development, implementation and support of operational monitoring systems and policies. The ideal candidate is efficient, self-motivated, adaptable, and able to manage several varying projects at the same time.
- Background (degree or experience) in office administration.
- Legal background (degree or experience) desirable.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
2. Membership & Networks Intern
The role would suit a young African at the beginning of their career, who has a strong interest and experience in connecting people and building partnerships, in order to mobilise communities and others to act together for social change. The position will support the creation of an internal resource for CIVICUS Staff around membership, contribute to a holistic view of our member’s engagement in the alliance, support our digital security training courses, and support convenings such as the CIVICUS Member AGM.
- Background (degree or experience) in development studies, political science, economics, sociology, public policy, or a related field.
- Fluency in verbal and written communication in English; additional language capacity is desirable, in particular, French and Arabic
For this recruitment, CIVICUS greatly encourages applications from suitable candidates with the right to live and work in South Africa as this role will be based in Johannesburg, South Africa.
3. Civic Space Research Intern
About the Role
A researcher to support the strengthening of the Monitor’s global research collaboration, in particular, to support the development of the Monitor’s civic space incident tool, an analysis tool that aim to record the details of each of the civic space incidents that are published on the Monitor and overall data analysis ahead of the publication our report People Power Under Attack.
Key Requirements :
- Pursuing or completed bachelor’s degree in international relations, political science, or a related field
- Knowledge or experience conducting research on human rights
- An understanding of international human rights frameworks related to fundamental freedoms of association, peaceful assembly and expression.
4. Membership Intern
The role would suit a young African at the beginning of their career, who has a strong interest and experience in connecting people and building partnerships, in order to mobilise communities and others to act together for social change. The position will work to engage members through the lens of CIVICUS’ membership policies and procedures by utilising our current data and information. The person will have a strong attention to detail, and an understanding of the some of the issues around digital security and data management
- Background (degree or experience) in development studies, political science, economics, sociology, public policy or a related field.
- Fluency in verbal and written communication in English; additional language capacity is desirable, in particular French and Arabic
- Excellent writing, communication and analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment, work under pressure, and multitasking
- Experience with Customer Relationship Management systems and/or databases
How to Apply
The closing deadline for applications is Close of Business on Friday the 18th of September 2020. Interested candidates should email their application to [email protected]
Your application should comprise of:
- A full CV, including educational and professional qualifications and full employment history if applicable
- A covering note of not more than 1 page outlining your motivation for applying for the role.
- Shortlisted candidates will be contacted the week of the 28th September 2020 to schedule interviews.
Due to the high volumes of applications received, should you not have received feedback on your application within three weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful. We reserve the right to withdraw any of our vacancies at any time.
For latest South African Government Departments, Municipalities, Parastatals Jobs / Vacancies visit workforgov.co.za